[OmniOS-discuss] Installing non-current kernels on OmniOS r151014?

Lauri Tirkkonen lotheac at iki.fi
Tue Oct 13 19:10:20 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 13 2015 14:35:08 -0400, Chris Siebenmann wrote:
>  I *think* that the required older versions (both of the kernel and
> of drivers) are still available in the OmniOS repository. However,
> I can't seem to coax 'pkg' to show them to me (perhaps because they
> differ only in the timestamp, not in the version number that pkg stuff
> normally shows) and so I'm not sure I can get pkg to install them.

They are:

    % pkg list -vfa kernel
    FMRI                                                                         IFO
    pkg://omnios/system/kernel@0.5.11-0.151014:20150929T225337Z                  i--
    pkg://omnios/system/kernel@0.5.11-0.151014:20150914T195008Z                  ---
    pkg://omnios/system/kernel@0.5.11-0.151014:20150913T201559Z                  ---
    pkg://omnios/system/kernel@0.5.11-0.151014:20150818T161044Z                  ---
    pkg://omnios/system/kernel@0.5.11-0.151014:20150727T054700Z                  ---
    pkg://omnios/system/kernel@0.5.11-0.151014:20150417T182434Z                  ---
    pkg://omnios/system/kernel@0.5.11-0.151014:20150402T175237Z                  ---

Downgrading a kernel package might not be so trivial, though. pkg will
generally refuse to downgrade packages unless you give version numbers in
'update', and the dependencies generally involve lots more packages than just
system/kernel.

>  In related news, is there an easy way to fish the full specific versions
> of installed packages out of a non-current boot environment? (Or for
> that matter from the current boot environment.)

Mount the BE (beadm mount) and run 'pkg -R <mountpoint> list -v'. For
the current BE just 'pkg list -v'.

--
Lauri Tirkkonen | lotheac @ IRCnet