[OmniOS-discuss] dladm hanging when creating an aggr after ramping of mtu

Stephan Budach stephan.budach at JVM.DE
Wed Sep 9 19:01:49 UTC 2015

Am 09.09.15 um 16:30 schrieb Dan McDonald:
>> On Sep 9, 2015, at 10:23 AM, Stephan Budach <stephan.budach at JVM.DE> wrote:
>>
>> Is there any option to get rid of dladm without taking down the whole box?
> First, see what it's locked on:
>
> 	pstack `pgrep dladm`
>
> if you know the PID of the hung process, substitute it for the argument to pstack.
>
> I'm assuming you've tried killing this process?
>
> Dan

Yeah, I tried that and guess what, just right after hitting the send
button dladm vanished. However, it had done something already resulting
in me being unable to create aggr0 again, since it's already present,
alas not visible.

Somehow, this seems to strike, if I try to create an aggregation on a
card that has already one port in use, in this case ixgbe0 is already up
and running. So, I just tried to create aggr0 only from ixgbe3, which
went smoothly, however adding ixgbe1 to aggr0 has resulted in dladm not
returning, so I am going for a pstack now…

…well, that was that. Unfortuanetly, right when I got the pstack, which
basically only showed the command line I called dladm with…

dladm add-aggr -l ixgbe0 aggr0

My targets on the other end went nuts amd I had to perform some work on
those cluster behind those… It actually ended up in booting the 014 node
and after the reboot aggr0 had been configured. I do have some more of
those boxes left, where I want to ramp up the mtu size and configure
link aggregation afterwards, I am sure, I can make that happen again… ;)

Cheers,
Stephan