[OmniOS-discuss] zfs compression limits write throughput to 100MB/sec

Doug Hughes doug at will.to
Mon Sep 14 19:05:40 UTC 2015

Probably something for Illumos, but you guys may have seen this or may like
to know.

I've got a 10g connected Xyratex box running OmniOS, and I noticed that no
matter how many streams (1, 2, 3) I only get 100MB/sec write throughput and
it just tops out. Even with 1 stream. This is with the default lzjb
compression on (fast option).

I turned off compression and have 2 streams running now and am getting
about 250-600MB/sec in aggregate. Much better!

The compress ratio was only 1.02x - 1.03x so it's no great loss on this
data. I just thought the 100MB/sec speed limit was interesting.