[OmniOS-discuss] Optimal Server Configuration or Disk Controller Recommendations

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 17:56:53 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 6:23 PM, Josh Barton <Josh.Barton at usurf.usu.edu>
wrote:

> I am hoping to build a server with 15+ drives managed in ZFS that will run
> a 1TB+ postgres database.
>

> [NEEDS]
>
> 15-20 drive bays (ideally SFF/2.5")
>
> JBOD disk controller ideal for running ZFS
>

> In the past I purchased an HP Proliant DL380P Gen 8 but it had a "Smart
> Array Controller" that prevented us from hot swapping drives. It also
> seemed to haveless IO channels than might be good when running a box with
> 16 drives.
>

> What would you recommend for  either a complete server configuration or at
> the very least  a disk controller for running this environment?

We've just gone for something similar. I've covered it in longer form here:

http://ptribble.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/supermicro-illumos-compatible-server.html

But basically, we've got the Supermicro SC216BAC-R920LPB
<http://www.supermicro.co.uk/products/chassis/2U/216/SC216BAC-R920LP.cfm>
chassis with
the X10DRi-T4+
<http://www.supermicro.co.uk/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10DRi-T4_.cfm>
motherboard and 3 LSI 9300-8i HBAs; then Intel 3510 boot
drives and 3610 data drives. Built last week, but everything's working fine
so far.

(Question: why 15+ drives? Given that you can easily get 1.8TB SSDs these
days, I'm not sure why you need so many drives.)

--
-Peter Tribble