[OmniOS-discuss] Timezone zone_sun.tab mismerge (was Re: OmniOS r151018 is now out!)

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon Apr 18 16:45:34 UTC 2016

> On Apr 17, 2016, at 10:05 PM, Mark Kushigian <mark at kushigian.com> wrote:
>
> There seems to be an issue with time zones. During a fresh installation,
> I attempted to choose US Eastern time zone. In the first place, it is not
> listed, it only says "(most areas)". I choose it anyway and then the
> installation fails, reporting "Timezone value specified (Eastern) is not
> valid". If I just choose UTC it installs fine. I have screenshots but I'm
> new to this forum and don't know how to include them.

Don't worry about it.  I took another look and I mismerged zone_sun.tab during the last TZ update.

The Caiman installer uses the very old & crufty "libzoneinfo" for its TZ selection screen, which uses the special zone_sun.tab file instead of the standard timezone database.  There was one GLARING bug from last time where UTF-8 characters in the timezone database broke Caiman.  I fixed that, and focussed my testing on unscrewing UTF-8.  I overlooked existing known-to-previously-work timezones after the 2016c merge, and thanks to your report, now I know I botched the zone_sun.tab merge.

I'm spinning a test installer for 018 today today see if I've fixed it.  For now, pick UTC/GMT and edit /etc/default/init after your first installed boot.

Thanks!