[OmniOS-discuss] Zone lo interfaces out of order

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 16:04:16 UTC 2016

I got a bunch of errors on some of our systems yesterday, and they appear
to be related to the following oddity. We have a bunch of zones running on
r151014.

Looking at the lo virtual interfaces assigned to two of the zones, this is
what
they look like for IPv4:

lo0:10: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu
8232 index 1
        zone wilma
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
lo0:11: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu
8232 index 1
        zone fred
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

And this for IPv6:

lo0:10: flags=2002000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv6,VIRTUAL> mtu
8252 index 1
        zone fred
        inet6 ::1/128
lo0:11: flags=2002000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv6,VIRTUAL> mtu
8252 index 1
        zone wilma
        inet6 ::1/128

Notice that lo:10 and lo:11 have been swapped over. The IPv4 version of
lo:10
is assigned to wilma, but the IPv6 version is assigned to fred. And vice
versa
with lo:11.

This is what it looks like in one of the zones:

lo0:11: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu
8232 index 1
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
lo0:10: flags=2002000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv6,VIRTUAL> mtu
8252 index 1
        inet6 ::1/128

This doesn't look quite right to me, and it's not something I've ever seen
before.

This begs some questions: Is there a real problem here? Is it just us? (I've
spotted it on more than one system, although it seems to be our new fast
machines and not the old slow ones.) What's going to be affected?

--
-Peter Tribble