[OmniOS-discuss] Can't install OniOS on Intel PSL 5000

John D Groenveld jdg117 at elvis.arl.psu.edu
Tue Dec 13 13:46:26 UTC 2016

In message <0ada01d254e7$bff18220$3fd48660$@gmail.com>, "Dain Bentley" writes:
>It's an older board, but I've run Open Indiana and OmniOS on it before.  I
>can't get it to install, it just reboots at random.  I only have the one
>hard drive in it so far, nothing on the logs, it wants me to bypass long and
>says login services cannot run for some reason.

Random reboots (and random stack traces when boot under the kernel
debugger) point to hardware, not software errors, often cooling (CPU,
GPU, spinning rust) and bad memory.

Al Hopper's guide is an oldy, but goody:
<URL:http://solaris-x86.org/documents/tutorials/crashdiag.mhtml>

Add -k option to the GRUB boot options:
<URL:https://illumos.org/man/1/kmdb>

John