[OmniOS-discuss] About block disk devices in lx-branded zone

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Wed Dec 21 15:17:50 UTC 2016

> On Dec 21, 2016, at 4:47 AM, Илья Кулагин <kiv at kiv.pp.ru> wrote:

<SNIP!>

You can pass zvol entries straight into your zone, but it does require some indirection.  Create a subdirectory from your pool... in my example it's "zvol".  In your zonecfg, have an entry like this:

	add device
	set match=/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/zvol/*
	end

And you can pass them in directly.

> It seems that I can use block disk devices in lx-branded zone - as I can
> do it in native zones. But is this really so?

Now this is a more interesting question.  The scope of what LX zones can and cannot do comes into play.

Raw disks in LX zones can probably work with basic read/write ops, but I suspect once you get into ANYTHING mildly tricky with dkio(7I) it breaks down.  A linux app will try ioctls on the raw drives that will return errors because an LX zone still has an illumos kernel underneath at the end of the day.

Before I go down this further, and even suggest you ping another mailing list, I need to know:  What problem are you REALLY trying to solve?  Or why do you need raw disks in an LX zone?

Thanks,