[OmniOS-discuss] ipadm: unknown subcommand 'create-ipmp'

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Dec 31 11:55:43 UTC 2016

23 декабря 2016 г. 21:34:25 CET, Willems Dirk <Dirk.Willems at exitas.be> пишет:
>Thank you Peter for explaining.
>
>Normally I also use only aggregation, but was wondering when like you
>said if the switch is not supporting it.
>
>I met Solaris 4 years ago and loved the system but the visions from
>Oracle don't reflect on mine and with the hoax of Solaris 12, I've
>decided that all my energy goes to illumos and where I can I will help.
>
>I hope I will met you guy's on 4 and 5 Feb on Brussels, I'm very
>excited for talking to you.
>
>Btw: Your jkstat helped me a couple of times for troubleshooting really
>great Tool !!!
>
>Thank you very much.
>
>Kind Regards
>
>Dirk
>

>On 23-12-16 21:14, Peter Tribble wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 7:41 PM, Willems Dirk
><Dirk.Willems at exitas.be<mailto:Dirk.Willems at exitas.be>> wrote:
>
>Hello OmniOS,
>

>I tried to create an ipmp group <ipadm create-ipmp -i net0 -i net2
>ipmp0> but it seems it's not there ?
>
>I get ipadm: unknown subcommand 'create-ipmp'
>
>Tried also with add-ipmp the same error, and in the man I don't see
>anything about ipmp ?
>
>How do you guy's make an ipmp group or only use aggregraat ?
>
>Configuring IPMP in OmniOS is done like Solaris 10 (which involves much
>fiddling with /etc/hostname.* files), not like Solaris 11 (which your
>ipadm
>command would be correct for).
>
>I have old servers (which I didn't set up) using IPMP; my newer systems
>use link aggregations which I've always found *much* easier, but it
>does need
>support on the switch side.
>
>And what about dlmp is there something for the future ?
>
>Again, I believe that dlmp is something that Oracle Solaris 11 has,
>we just have regular link aggregation.
>

>Thank you.
>

>Kind Regards,
>

>Dirk
>
>--
>[cid:part2.D6F4FBC7.5E906549 at exitas.be] <http://www.exitas.be/>
>

>Dirk Willems
>System Engineer
>

>[cid:part4.1EF4E285.60C8F2FC at exitas.be]
>
>+32 (0)3 443 12 38 <tel:003234431238>
>
>[cid:part6.C8731DB4.F60CC461 at exitas.be]
>
><mailto:dirk.willems at exitas.be><mailto:dirk.willems at exitas.be>dirk.willems at exitas.be<mailto:dirk.willems at exitas.be>
>
>[cid:part9.8B18CDA5.4EC9A106 at exitas.be]
>
>Veldkant 31 - 2550 Kontich <https://goo.gl/maps/2fuSkEZe3Lz>
>
>[cid:part11.FBB03E2C.6DFF68FB at exitas.be]
>
><http://www.exitas.be><http://www.exitas.be>www.exitas.be<http://www.exitas.be>
>

>Disclaimer <http://exitas.be/legal/disclaimer/>

>--
>-Peter Tribble
>http://www.petertribble.co.uk/ - http://ptribble.blogspot.com/

FWIW, I set up ipmp on an OI laptop once, trying to have a virtual interface that stands for 'currently active connection media' (wifi, eth, or virtual eth when dualbooted as a virtual OS from a neighboring other OS) so there is some single logical interface for configs that I can bind services and zones to. The setup is now in another house, so i can't say OTOH if I got vnics to work over that too - but remember at least trying to and swearing that it could be better and friendlier integrated via CLI tools rather than editing dladm.conf and rebooting ;)

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android