[OmniOS-discuss] Updating to r15016

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Wed Feb 10 20:44:04 UTC 2016

> On Feb 10, 2016, at 3:24 PM, Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 14:12:16 -0600
> "Schweiss, Chip" <chip at innovates.com> wrote:
>

>> Possibly.   I may be the odd user who doesn't understand what 'entire' on
>> the update is doing or how to correct it when my syntax is wrong.
>>
> My understanding of entire is that of a meta package which controls a
> specific version of Omnios. You can compare it to a git branch, a zfs
> snapshot, or a materialized view in a database.

It needs more than a bit of fixing.  For now, it includes way too many dependencies, and blocks unnecessary bits from being uninstallable.  Its history predates my arrival at OmniTI, never mind my familiarity with pkg(5) (which took me a bit).

Can't make promises, but reforming what "entire" and some of the other metapackages are is something on people's radars.  For example, I hope that the "illumos-tools" metapackage is a better example of how to do things right.