[OmniOS-discuss] Intel Skylake

Olaf Marzocchi lists at marzocchi.net
Fri Feb 12 15:06:51 UTC 2016

Well x86 and x86_64 are backward compatible, they should always work with older version of the operating system, as long as the devices are compatible with the drivers provided. I guess you would have no problems running even XP on it...

No additional specific feature of Skylake will however be available, like the advanced power saving and processor-managed speedstep.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9751/examining-intel-skylake-speed-shift-more-responsive-processors

Olaf