[OmniOS-discuss] Zones Backup

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Feb 14 01:51:32 UTC 2016

My microserver project (Xeon D based) is almost completely done now.
All services are partitioned into zones.  I created a base zone and
then cloned that zone to create the other zones.  All 'data' used by
a zone is external via lofs mounts with only configuration and
services being in the zone.

While there is already backup of the 'data' using my existing methods
(zfs send to live fs on another system + rsync from a different
system), I have not yet come up with the best way to back up zones.

It is very easy to back up zones as long as one is willing to
replicate all the data in the zone.  Plenty of documentation exists
for how to do this.  Since OmniOS uses "big" zones, this results in
excessive redundant data (e.g. OmniOS distribution files) being backed
up.  Backing up unneeded files wastes space and makes restoration more
complicated.

Effort to restore a whole system from scratch needs to be minimized.

using GNU diff I can do something like:

   diff -r -q /zones/base/root /zones/web/root

and see differences between my base zone and a 'web' zone.  Most
differences are due to spurious differences in OmniOS itself.  If
there was a manifest available for the whole installed system (perhaps
possible to derive from IPS), then it could be used to determine the
files to ignore, and the files changed or added outside of OmniOS.
This could be used to drive a backup system which only emits added or
changed files from the base.

Does anyone have an effective zone backup method they can share which
strips out all the cruft and retains only key files such as
configuration files?

Thanks,

Bob
--