[OmniOS-discuss] Question on puppet agent for OmniOS

Trey Palmer trey at mailchimp.com
Thu Feb 18 00:01:49 UTC 2016

I should add, I'd use the niksula package over CSW if you can.   I really
appreciate their repo (and OmniOS).

We only use the CSW package because at the time the available version
happened to line up with what we were running everywhere else.   As a
general rule, the agents shouldn't be an earlier version than your masters.

Now niksula has 3.8.5 which I might actually be able to change to.   Using
CSW packages intended for a diverging closed source Solaris is obviously
gonna bite me sooner or later.

As far as the manifest/method, if you run the daemon you can have puppet
install them on the first run, and puppet's standard service resource has a
"manifest" parameter that will "svccfg import" for you.

But Lauri is right that there's no real reason to run the daemon vice from
cron except to standardize with the rest of your org.

   -- Trey