[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS and i386 hardware

Даниил Ландау daniil.landau at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 22:43:40 UTC 2016

Hi!

This is my first letter to OmniOS mail list, so I’d like to start with many thanks to all people who creates OmniOS! OmniOS is a great project and I wish you and OmniOS all the best!

I’m experimenting with OmniOS a lot and decided to create my own publisher with some packages including Samba. I had an idea to create packages including two platform builds with "isaexec switch" for binaries as all OmniOS packages. But 32-bit build has the meaning only if somebody could run OmniOS on 32-bit hardware. I know that Illumos codebase supports 32- and 64-bit architectures and found no information about OmniOS processor architecture limitations, so I decided to check how OmniOS works on 32-bit hardware myself. I used the latest stable release (r151016) ISO and 32-bit VBox VM. Installation was successfull (the only thing I had to change was GRUB config) and everything was great (including network configuration, zone configuration, etherstub and BE creation) except pkg command. The pkg command always failed with following message:

root at ux32:/root# pkg
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/pkg", line 104, in <module>
   pkg_timer = pkg.misc.Timer("pkg client")
 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/misc.py", line 2282, in __init__
   self.__wtime = _prstart()
 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/misc.py", line 876, in _prstart
   psinfo = ProcFS.psinfo()
 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/misc.py", line 862, in psinfo
   return ProcFS._struct_unpack(psinfo_data, "psinfo_t")
 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/misc.py", line 823, in _struct_unpack
   rv = list(struct.unpack(fmt, data))
struct.error: unpack requires a string argument of length 260

As I found the problem is in architecture-dependent python code.
It’s so sad to have nearly working great system especially when architecture-dependent problem exists in script (which should be architecture-independent by it’s nature) and all other components works perfectly.

I understand that i386-compability is not the main goal of OmniOS developers, but may I ask them (if they read this message and if they will have time for it) to fix this little problem, which makes OmniOS fully unusable on i386 hardware, and, as a result, makes meaningless all 32-bit OmniOS binaries which have 64-bit duplicates.

Thanks for your attention!

Отправлено с iPhone