[OmniOS-discuss] Extending the installer

PÁSZTOR György pasztor at sagv5.gyakg.u-szeged.hu
Fri Feb 26 22:53:13 UTC 2016

Hi,

"Michael Rasmussen" <mir at miras.org> írta 2016-02-26 20:40-kor:
> I have thought about this for some time. I think it is silly that users
> are not guided through the process of the initial setup of network and
> this is also the biggest barrier for new users (IMHO). To fix this I
> would suggest that the installer is extended with a GUI for doing just
> this. I could be implemented in one of two ways:
>
> 1) Extend the current installer
> 2) Start a GUI after first boot provided that the system contains known
> nics (Ethernet).

I am not against improving the system.
But this is a server distro. If setting up the network following the docs
is a barrier: Then the next step will be a barrier than. Than the next.
Than the next, etc.

If a network configuration / install improvement should be done, then I
vote for some auto-configuration-like thing.
It was a long time ago, when I installed omnios, but what I can imagine as
a useful developement on this field:
* If some pxe-based installer is provided
* If it can be customized with some pre-written installer answers, like
  like debian's dai & debconf system, etc. Or if we could give a
  sysconfig-like file url as a kernel param, and the installer would gather
  that, and then it would done these presetups. That would be something
  useful. A "setup tool" with gui... Why on earth?!

What is your opinion about this?

Cheers,
Gyu