[OmniOS-discuss] 9207-8i P19 poor write performance

Jeff Stockett jstockett at molalla.com
Tue Jan 26 17:30:54 UTC 2016

I'm trying to repurpose a couple older Dell R720xds we have that have 26x1TB SAS 10K spinners to host Windows Server backups via iSCSI since Windows Server backup does not work well with SMB shares and I'd like to get the backup I/O off our main storage servers.  I've replaced the hopelessly broken onboard Dell H710 controller with a new 9207-8i that I downgraded from P20 to P19 per various posts I've seen.  Installed latest version of R151016, everything went smoothly, and seems to work fine, but when I do basic performance tests on the pool using dd, I only get around 800MB/s for writes when I would expect > 2GB/s - read speeds are fine - about 2.5GB/s.  The pool is 5x5raidz1 vdevs+1 boot drive (I also tried 4x6raidz2+2 mirrored boot with similar but even slightly slower results as expected).

To rule out hardware issues, I re-installed Ubuntu 14.04 with ZFS, imported the pool, and write speeds were right where they should be around the 2.5GB/s mark on a 512GB dd (machine has 256GB of RAM at the moment but will probably put a lot of that somewhere else soon).

Anyone aware of any issues or special tuning with the 2308 chipset and R151016?  All our other storage servers are supermicro and have the 3008 chipset which seems to work great at least in the older build of OmniOS that they are all running.

Thanks,  Jeff