[OmniOS-discuss] slices & zfs

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Jun 8 16:45:42 UTC 2016

8 июня 2016 г. 16:37:50 CEST, Martijn Fennis <martijn at fennis.tk> пишет:
>Hi Dale and Jim,
>
>Thanks for your time.
>
>The reason is to store VMs on the Quick-pool and downloads on the
>Slow-pool.
>
>I would personally not assign the Slow-pool any of my memory, perhaps
>meta-data.
>
>That’s why i would like to assign the inner part to the slow-pool.
>

>Also i’ve read about a maximum of 2 TB per slice, anyone?
>

>But maybe i should not do the slicing at all?
>

>Thanks in advance

2tb limit - not true. This pool worked back in SXCE:

[root at thumper ~]# format c1t2d0s0
selecting c1t2d0s0
[disk formatted]
/dev/dsk/c1t2d0s0 is part of active ZFS pool temp. Please see zpool(1M).
/dev/dsk/c1t2d0s1 is part of active ZFS pool pond. Please see zpool(1M).

partition> p
Current partition table (original):
Total disk sectors available: 5860516717 + 16384 (reserved sectors)

Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector          Size          Last Sector
  0        usr    wm               256         2.50TB           5372126207
  1        usr    wm        5372126400       232.87GB           5860500351
  2 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
  3 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
  4 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
  5 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
  6        usr    wm        5860500367         8.00MB           5860516750

partition>

There is an issue about 2TB for boot disks though - grub doesn't see more, so you must ensure rpool is below 2tb and maybe add compatibility MBR partitioning along with real EFI layout with same partition offsets and sizes.

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android