[OmniOS-discuss] Fwd: OmniOS as home serwer (NAT, private projects)

Krzysztof Grzempa grzempek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 19:23:26 UTC 2016

Guys,

Thanks for all your shares. So, it seems that it is possible, without
spending days and days setting it up. Thats great.

@Guo-Rong Koh
>I run most of my WAN stack (apache, php, etc) from the Joyent pkgsrc
repository, which is very straightforward to get running and >keep updated
on OmniOS

No native OmniOS apache2,php packages available? Does it work well, and
there is no conflicts on system updates? What about apache2 modules
availability and php libraries. My project that im planning to run uses
PEAR repo, is it possibile to install?
The same questions goes for Python, django. is there pip3 available ?

@Thomas
>As OmniOS is one of the OSdistro that has support in SFE, then it could
>work to get mediatomb for OmniOS as well. It would take some effort to
>see if the base functionality can be made work on OmniOS.

I know SFE, i used to use it on OpenIndiana some time ago..That was great
alternative to native's repositories. I had a access to the compile farm
even ;) I will try it for everything that i won't be able to find in native
repos..

@Linda Kateley
> I actually have recently fell in love with nap-it. It bundles all the
stuff you need..

Yep, i'm aware of it. But I would like to keep my Solaris/Illumos skills on
track since nowadays I am DevOps working with code and Linux mostly, so
having Illumos home box would be great. On the other hand napp-it probably
would safe a lot of my time, but the price for it is that i will install
it, configure it by clicking GUI and thats it. I prefer to get my hands
dirty, but with reasonable amount of time..

Cheers