[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS & Softlayer

Paul Bucher paulb at lctcb.org
Wed Jun 15 17:44:30 UTC 2016

I’m working on bringing up some new mission critical servers at hosting provider Softlayer and wondering if anyone out there also hosts at Softlayer using OmniOS and what they’ve used for disk HBA’s at Softlayer with OmniOS(just to make it more complicated I use napp-it all in one virtual machine setups). My understanding is the current Xeon v3 servers Softlayer is using LSI megaRAID 9361 cards in them and I’ve been unable to find much about running ZFS on the newer megaraid cards and I really don’t want to do some RAID 0 type of setup that I’ve used in the past. Softlayer is using Supermicro X10DRU-i+ MBs that have a bunch of SATA ports on them hung off the C612 chipset, I’m temped to tell them to use those ports, but I’d like to hear someone else’s experience with these since I now OmniOS doesn’t always play well with more modern kit.

So far I’ve had great success with all in one setups in the past on Softlayers older generation of servers, but I’ve had to ship to Softlayer and convenience them to install the standard LSI HBA SAS controllers for me which has the downside that if a box goes down they can’t just spin me up a newer server in an hour or so since it requires me to buy and ship them a new disk controller.

-Paul