[OmniOS-discuss] ZPOOL disk performance on Supermicro with LSI 9300-8i

Josh Barton Josh.Barton at usurf.usu.edu
Thu Jun 23 18:10:54 UTC 2016

        HP is running: 151012
        Sunfire:            151010
        Supermicro:    151014

Supermicro specs:
Item Number                                       |       Item Type                    |     # of Units    |
CSE-216BAC-R920LPB                        |        Chassis	                                                    |
LSI 9300-8i                                           |    Disk Controller               |    3.00              |
 X10DRi-T4+                                         |   Motherboard                  |    1.00              |
Micron/Crucial CT16G4RFD4213     |  16 GB Ram                        |     12.00           |
Samsung M393A4K40BB0-CPB        |  32 GB Ram                        |     8.00              |
Seagate ST2000NX0243                    |  2TB Drive                           |    12.00             |
Intel Xeon E5-2637 v3 Quad-core   | 3.5 GHz CPU                       |     2.00              |
The benchmarks shouldn't be CPU bound in the case of the Supermicro. It has twice the # of processors of the HP but the HP has 8 cores total in the one processor (Xeon E5-2640 @ 2ghz). Postgres prefers higher CPU frequency rather than  number of cores. The Sunfire has 48 drives and so writes should be spread fairly evenly, reducing writes per drive. Is there any other information I can provide?

Josh