[OmniOS-discuss] https://pkg.omniti.com (was: SECURITY UPDATE FOR OpenSSL & Perl; plus other fixes)

Ben Summers ben at bens.me.uk
Wed Mar 2 11:52:07 UTC 2016

>> Am 02.03.2016 um 12:08 schrieb Ben Summers <ben at bens.me.uk>:
>>
>> This was rejected previously due to the significant additional latency of https.
>

> Please, please do not spread myth from the last century. This is not true!
> Add a proper tls-termination in front and you are good to go.

I believe this was measured. pkg makes lots of small requests and doesn't appear to be very clever with session management.

What results did you get when you benchmarked it?

>> Now that packages are signed properly, you don't need https to assure integrity of the software.
>

> Yes signed packages are fine, but not my case. As you now your county is taking a full take - on all they can get!

Which country?

>> If you wish to avoid disclosing your updates to passive observers, you could use a local mirror.
>

> Yes I could be, but that does not make the internet a better and more secure place!

I found OmniTI to be really open to making security improvements, and I'm sure they would be very interested in learning about your specific concerns.

Ben