[OmniOS-discuss] weird disk behavior

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Thu Mar 10 00:13:35 UTC 2016

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 15:53:52 -0800
Richard Elling <richard.elling at richardelling.com> wrote:

> these are symptoms that the drive is not responding and resets are being sent to try (often in vain) to bring the disk online. Since this is mpt, it is likely 3Gbps and if the drive is SATA your tears will flow. Now that the drive is back AND the symptoms cleared after reinstalling the drive, it is very likely that drive is the source of the errors. smartctl might give more info. IMHO you should plan for replacement of that drive.
>
> NB, for that SAS fabric generation, it is posaible that the problem drive is not the only drive showing the same errors, but your drive pull test is a reasonable approach.
>
> Do not be surprised if smartctl doesn't correctly identify the issue, smart isn't very smart sometimes.

I ran an extended offline test of the drive which showed uncorrectable
errors so I have ordered a new disk. So your diagnose was correct ;-)

PS. This is my second Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 which has gone bad
within a month after 28000 hours (approx. 3 years) of service. A lot
less than promised by Seagate (MTBF of 0.75 million hours). Glad this
is my last Seagate which goes to the bin.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
Except for 75% of the women, everyone in the whole world wants to have
sex. -- Ellyn Mustard