[OmniOS-discuss] Installation Boot hangs after CPU/USB initialization - Intel Motherboard

Christian Kivalo ml+omnios-discuss at valo.at
Mon Mar 14 21:28:30 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-09 11:00, Svavar Örn Eysteinsson wrote:
> Hi Dan.
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I disabled all the C-states and it's the same story.
>
> If I boot from the SATA CD-ROM installation it hangs on boot right
> after :
>
> cpu7: Intel(r) Xeon(r) CPU	E5520 @ 2.27Ghz
> cpu6: Intel(r) Xeon(r) CPU	E5520 @ 2.27Ghz
> cpu7: initialization complete - online
> cpu6: initialization complete - online
>
> See here :
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16134/omnios_intel_cstates_disabled_boot.JPG
>
> If I boot from USB stick, with USB 2.0 enabled and or disabled the
> last message is always releated to usb stuff
> right after cpu6: initialization complete - online.
>

> So my BIOS configuration right now is :
>
> Intel QPI Frequency Select [Auto Max]
> Intel Turbo Boots Technology [Enabled]
> Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech [Enabled]
> Processor C3 [Disabled]
> Processor C6 [Disabled]
> Intel Hyper-Threading Tech [Disabled]
> Core Multi-Processing [All]
> Execute Disable Bit [Disabled]
> Intel Virtualization Technology [Disasbled]
> Intel VT for Directed I/O [Disabled]
>
> and some more.
>
> My Bios Configuration can been seen here :
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16134/omnios_intel_bios1.JPG
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16134/omnios_intel_bios2.JPG
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16134/omnios_intel_bios3.JPG
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16134/omnios_intel_bios4.JPG

Maybe something for you there was a thread here some months ago...
It starts here
https://www.mail-archive.com/omnios-discuss%40lists.omniti.com/msg03194.html

and some messages into the the thread X2APIC is mentioned
https://www.mail-archive.com/omnios-discuss%40lists.omniti.com/msg03200.html

https://www.mail-archive.com/omnios-discuss%40lists.omniti.com/msg03201.html

and a link a blogpost by jeff sipek
http://blahg.josefsipek.net/?p=488

> Best regards,
>
> Svavar O
>

>> On 8. mar. 2016, at 15:13, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Mar 8, 2016, at 6:17 AM, Svavar Örn Eysteinsson
>>> <svavar at pipar-tbwa.is> wrote:
>>>
>>> Should I disable other CPU ? Should a enable C2, C3 state in BIOS or
>>> is that not relevant?
>>
>> Disable C-states, that's general illumos advice (regardless of
>> distro).
>>
>> Dan

  Christian Kivalo