[OmniOS-discuss] 4kn or 512e with ashift=12

Fred Liu Fred_Liu at issi.com
Tue Mar 22 10:00:50 UTC 2016

*In theory* this replacement should work well if the lie works *correctly*.
 In ZoL, for the "-o ashift" is supported in "zpool replace", the replacement should also work in mixed sector sizes.
 And in illumos the whitelist will do the same.
 What errors have you ever seen?

> that you really want to force-create all pools with ashift=12 even on 512n drives
> unless you're absolutely confident that you will be able to obtain replacement
> 512n drives over the lifetime of your pool (or unless the impact of using
> ashift=12 is so drastic on your usage case that you will need to totally rethink
> your pool if you become unable to get 512n replacement drives).

Same as my comments above.

>  For many usage cases, somewhat more space usage and perhaps somewhat
> slower pools are vastly preferable to a loss of pool redundancy over time. I feel
> that OmniOS should at least give you the option here (in a less crude way than
> simply telling it that absolutely all of your drives are 4k drives, partly because
> such general lies are problematic in various situations).

The whitelist (sd.conf) should fit into this consideration. But not sure how mixed sector sizes impact the performance.

Thanks.

Fred