[OmniOS-discuss] 4kn or 512e with ashift=12

Fred Liu Fred_Liu at issi.com
Wed Mar 23 09:34:19 UTC 2016

There are two cases if we don't use the remedy (whitelist in illumos or -o ashift in ZoL) here:
a): 512n <---> 512e. This replacement should work *in theory* if the lie works *correctly*.
b): 512n <-x-> 4kn.  This replacement may not work for the different physical sector sizes.

Your surprise may come from case b.

> What is missing from
> http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/ZFS+and+Advanced+Format+disks
> is:
>
> 1. how to change the un_phy_blocksize for any or all uns 2. how to set a default
> setting for all drives in sd.conf by setting attributes to
>     the "<vid+pid>" of ""  (see sd(7d))
>
> I am aware of no new HDDs with 512n, so this problem will go away for HDDs.
> However, there are many SSDs that work better with un_phy_blocksize = 8192
> and some vendors set sd.conf or source appropriately.
>  -- richard
>

> 			For many usage cases, somewhat more space usage and
> perhaps
> 			somewhat slower pools are vastly preferable to a loss of pool
> 			redundancy over time. I feel that OmniOS should at least give
> you
> 			the option here (in a less crude way than simply telling it that
> 			absolutely all of your drives are 4k drives, partly because such
> 			general lies are problematic in various situations).
>

> 		The whitelist (sd.conf) should fit into this consideration. But not
> 		sure how mixed sector sizes impact the performance.
>

> 	Oh, 512e disks in a 512n pool will probably have not great performance.
> 	ZFS does a lot of unaligned reads and writes, unlike other filesystems;
> 	if you say your disks are 512n, it really believes you and behaves
> 	accordingly.

I am just curious about if the mixed sector sizes(512n+4kn) will impact performance.

Thanks.

Fred