[OmniOS-discuss] sshd logging

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Thu Mar 31 13:11:15 UTC 2016

I'm trying to get sshd logging to work on OmniOS with OpenSSH installed.
Nothing I try seems to produce any logging.

In sshd_config I have:

# Syslog facility and level
SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel VERBOSE

In /etc/syslog.conf:

*.err;kern.notice;auth.notice           /dev/sysmsg
*.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit    /var/adm/messages
*.alert;kern.err;daemon.err         operator
*.alert                     root
*.emerg                     *

# if a non-loghost machine chooses to have authentication messages
# sent to the loghost machine, un-comment out the following line:
auth.notice         ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/authlog, @loghost)
mail.debug          ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/syslog, @loghost)

#
# non-loghost machines will use the following lines to cause "user"
# log messages to be logged locally.
#
ifdef(`LOGHOST', ,
user.err                    /dev/sysmsg
user.err                    /var/adm/messages
user.alert                  `root, operator'
user.emerg                  *
)

I've tried may combinations, in both ssshd_config and syslog.conf.

Can someone clue me in on the magic formula?

-Chip