[OmniOS-discuss] OpenSSL futures

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Thu Mar 31 14:40:48 UTC 2016

As I'm updating and checking packages for r151018's release, I notice that OpenSSL is rapidly approaching a 1.1.0 release.  I visited their Release Strategy page:

	http://openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html

And noticed that 1.0.2 is LTS until 2019.  OTOH, 1.1.x will likely become LTS for some x, and there's also LibreSSL...

I'm starting this thread to hear what the community has to say about where OmniOS should go w.r.t. its OpenSSL release.  I have internal customers too, of course, but I'll engage them separately.  We need to have an OpenSSL because illumos requires one.  We *could* do the SmartOS thing and keep our own SUNW/OMNI*...() api set, though.

I can't guarantee what I'll ultimately decide, but knowing what people think can't hurt.

Thanks,