[OmniOS-discuss] OpenSSL futures

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Mar 31 15:01:43 UTC 2016

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016, Lauri Tirkkonen wrote:

> I would personally like to see LibreSSL either in OmniOS itself or the
> possibility to use it in my own application stack (eg. the SmartOS route
> of changing the symbol names of the OS-shipped TLS library to avoid
> conflicts).

While the notion of LibreSSL is great, we should take care because
LibreSSL is targeted to OpenBSD APIs and requirements.  Some behaviors
have subtle (yet significant) differences and the differences need to
be carefully considered to make sure that behavior is correct under
Illumos.  For Linux there are known cases where the OS difference
resulted in a security weakness (which may still exist).

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn