[OmniOS-discuss] lipkg and updates

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue May 3 20:48:30 UTC 2016

Dan,

> Clearly I'm missing something about lipkg zones and pkg update.
>
> "zoneadm list -cv" shows all of the zones as lipkg, right?

Absolutely, yes.

> > I have some recently built boxes that appear to behave, but on older
> > (as in still 151014 but a few months back) systems the zones don't
> > seem to follow the global zone when I run pkg update.
> >

> <snip!>
>
> I'm including OpenIndiana's Alexander Pyhalov.  ISTR this bug:
>
>         https://illumos.org/issues/6675
>
> had a side-bug related to old ipkg zones that got updated to lipkg.  You
> mentioned that more recently built boxes don't have your problem.  I'm
> trying to remember if there's an additional piece of the
> change-ipkg-to-lipkg puzzle missing?

I think you're right about the history. The older systems used to be 151006,
got upgraded to 151014 and the zones migrated from ipkg to lipkg.

Although, digging deeper, there's something else slightly amiss. On the
older
boxes, zones that I'm fairly sure were created new as lipkg appear to have
some
packages (openssl, some illumos components) at newer versions than the
global
zone. As if they picked up the current versions at creation time, rather
than
tracking the global zone. (Which was one thing lipkg zones aimed to avoid.)

> > So, inside the zone, pkg update will do the right thing. But why isn't
> > pkg update from the global zone traversing into lipkg zones?
>
> I want to say I forgot to document something on the process of changing
> ipkg to lipkg beyond what's documented here:
>
>         http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/linked_images
>
> But I can't find it in my mail archives easily.

Thanks for looking!

--
-Peter Tribble