[OmniOS-discuss] Zone network fails to work.

Andries Annema an3s.annema at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 18:15:05 UTC 2016

Hi Richard,

About two years ago I bumped into the same, or at least a similar,
problem on my brand new r151014 rig: the system was able to ping hosts
on the same network segment, but a ping to my router/gateway resulted in
"no answer from <router> / Unknown host".

In my notes from back then I find that I ended up in verifying the arp
cache by entering:

# arp -a

The resulting list did not show the router, so I added it manually:

# arp -s <router IP> <router MAC>

A page that might shed some more light on the matter:
https://www.petri.com/csc_arp_cache

I have no clue as to why a single host on the local network would not
show up in that arp table while others would, but back then the above
solved my problem. Haven't had the issue since then, so it might be
worth giving it a try.
If it doesn't help you, then I hope someone who really knows the ins and
outs of networking is listening in. :-)

Regards,
Andries