[OmniOS-discuss] Installation Failing (Reboots)

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Mon Sep 26 20:33:48 UTC 2016

On 26 September 2016 at 12:59, Garland McAlexander <garland at bustle.com> wrote:
> I've tried multiple images via IPMI now, and I've md5 verified them all
> before attempting to install.

Does your system have serial-over-LAN functionality available through
IPMI?  I would recommend trying to get the system to boot using the
serial port as the console -- that way, when the text flashes up
you'll be able to capture it before the system reboots.

I've used the OmniOS installer via the serial port (in a virtual
machine) before.  I think that all I had to do was edit the grub menu
entry and add the appropriate console settings, e.g.

    -B console=ttyb,ttyb-mode="115200,8,n,1,-"

(NB: that's for "ttyb", aka COM2.  If your IPMI serial-over-LAN port
is COM1 you'll want ttya instead.)

--
Joshua M. Clulow
UNIX Admin/Developer