[OmniOS-discuss] Release 22 unable to boot with 4k disks

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Aug 25 22:39:15 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 10:29:39PM +0000, Machine Man wrote:
> I removed the data disks and installed on 2x 512 disks then added the
> 4k disks again boot fails.

This is documented in the release notes:

https://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/BSDLoader

The release version of OmniTI omnios r151022 has a version of loader
with issue 8303 which renders it incompatible with disks with logical 4k
sectors (physical 4k is fine as long as they are presented logically as
512b).

I believe the fix for this has been integrated into the Community
Edition of omnios r151022:

http://www.omniosce.org/

so I would suggest you upgrade your system to the latest update of that
and try again.

You also have the option of sticking with grub for r151022 rather than
switching to loader, that is documented on the BSDLoader page as well;
but only for upgrades, not for new installs I believe.