[OmniOS-discuss] mountpoint on the parent pool

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Thu Feb 9 16:41:02 UTC 2017

> On Feb 9, 2017, at 11:28 AM, Dirk Willems <dirk.willems at exitas.be> wrote:
>
> Hello OmniOS,
>
> Why isn't allowed to install a LX-Zone or Zone if the DATA pool doesn't have a mountpoint on the parent ?
>

> below example doesn't allow you to install a Zone or LX-Zone
>
> root at OmniOS:/root# zfs list
> NAME                           USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> DATA                           432G   777G    23K  none
> DATA/Backup                    432G   777G   432G  /Backup
> DATA/LXZones                    23K   777G    23K  /LXZones
>

> below example does allow you to install a Zone or LX-Zone
>
> root at OmniOS:/root# zfs list
> NAME                           USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> DATA                           433G   776G    23K  /LXZones
> DATA/Backup                    432G   776G   432G  /Backup
> DATA/LXMatterMost              229M   776G   228M  /LXZones/LXMatterMost
>

> It's kind ignoring because i like to make separated filesystems for having a nice overview :)

All zones (not just LX) need to be a subdirectory of a higher-level ZFS filesystem.  This is so zoneadm(1M) can create the zone root.

bloody(~)[0]% zfs list | grep zones | grep -v zbe
data/zones                              3.90G   509G    23K  /zones
data/zones/lipkg0                       3.14G   509G    24K  /zones/lipkg0
data/zones/lipkg0/ROOT                  3.14G   509G    23K  legacy
data/zones/lx0                           465M   509G   465M  /zones/lx0
data/zones/lx1                           315M   509G   239M  /zones/lx1
bloody(~)[0]%

My bloody box has zones name per their brand, so you can see what I mean.