[OmniOS-discuss] Moving The Root Pool

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Feb 10 14:05:57 UTC 2017

> On Feb 10, 2017, at 2:44 AM, Andre Kruger <andre at ak47.co.za> wrote:
>
> I have a running OmniOS system that boots from HDD but I would like to boot the machine from SSD. I first pondered if I could just create an image, using CloneZilla, of the rpool disk and then restore that image again onto the SSD.

I hadn't heard of clonezilla until just now.

> I am not sure if that is an acceptable method?

The problem with that is your disk device will be under a different name, and this confuses the illumos boot system a bit.

> I know the windows community warns against this practice. You can clone from HDD to HDD or SSD to SSD, but I have read many reports of windows users experiencing slow performance when cloning from HDD to SSD.

I have no idea why that would be the case, but regardless...

> Would OmniOS suffer the same performance problems if cloning from HDD to SSD?

... I can't say for sure.

> If it will, would this procedure that I found on the OpenIndiana Wiki be valid without much tweaking?
>
> https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/How+to+migrate+the+root+pool

That article is a bit old.

I've some questions that will help me give better advice.  There are no wrong answers here, just be as accurate as you can:

- Which revision of OmniOS are you running?
- Is your new SSD the same or greater size than the HD you have now?
- Do you have a CD/DVD or USB installer media?

Thanks,