[OmniOS-discuss] ACPI warning from r151020 on SuperMicro Xeon D system

Dale Ghent daleg at omniti.com
Fri Feb 10 19:15:59 UTC 2017

> On Feb 9, 2017, at 9:13 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
>
> I noticed that OmniOS r151020 is producing an ACPI warning on a SuperMicro Xeon D system.  I don't think that it was doing this for r151018 (or else I didn't notice):
>
> Feb  5 17:43:01 scrappy unix: [ID 977644 kern.info] NOTICE: cpu_acpi: _TSS package bad count 1 for CPU 0.
> Feb  5 17:43:01 scrappy unix: [ID 340435 kern.info] NOTICE: Support for CPU throttling is being disabled due to errors parsing ACPI T-state objects exported by BIOS.
>
> Is there some data I can produce in order to help make this issue go away?

It’s not an issue per se. I have the exact Xeon-D system you have, I believe, and have looked into this.

The short answer is: This isn’t a error or problem, so much as it is a combination of the (much newer in r151020) Intel APCI-CA code being its characteristically gripey self, and the typical odd stuff that BIOS vendors put into their BIOSes.

The longer answer: This is because you have T-States turned off in the BIOS config, which I believe is the default state as shipped from Supermico (it was on my D-1541 box from them.) If you look in the BIOS menu Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> Advanced Power Management Configuration -> CPU T-State Control you will find that it’s set to Disabled. This is with version 1.1c of the BIOS. Enabling that will prevent the ACPI-CA code from griping about it as T-States will be fully enabled, and not in some there-but-not-there state that the BIOS seems to leave the TSS (“T-State Status”) table in when it is disabled.

/dale