[OmniOS-discuss] Moving The Root Pool

Stephan Budach stephan.budach at jvm.de
Tue Feb 14 13:38:07 UTC 2017

Hi Andre,

well, I wouldn't call it dead… there is a way to accomplish, what you want and I had already performed such an action before. However, I cannot recall all the steps necessary. Looking at the link Dan provided, the steps lined out in the document are still valid and I don't think that there is an easier way to do it.

Regarding the other issues about a general advice against using a SSD as a rpool… there is none I know of. Depending on the manufacturer you may want to provide enough free space on the SSD, as I don't know if Ilumos/OmniOS have come up to speed regarding TRIM, but you can always counter that by providing enough space for the SSD's GC.
If a SSD is suited as a rpool in Ilumos may be hard to judge. All I know is, that you should stay away from Samsung EVOs… unless you're operating them in a Windows environment.

Cheers,
Stephan