[OmniOS-discuss] SMB and Netatalk

Linda Kateley lkateley at kateley.com
Wed Feb 15 19:09:11 UTC 2017

Fabio,

I design systems all the time for video editing. There are several
questions that need to be answered..what will be average file size? 4k?
8k video? How many 10gbe? how many editors accessing simultaneously?
What software are you running?

I usually size ram per user if they are working with different files, or
size ram to average file.. I run procs up higher for multiple 10gbe.
Need to be a little careful with 10gbe drivers in omni.

For zil, you only need/use zil if you are running nfs or iscsi. Use the
ssd for arc if you are running smb or netatalk.

Been seeing several configs be successful with raidz2 and editing, but i
would prefer mirrors. I would usually like to see 2 boxes one for work
and one for archive.

I hate to do marketing... but if you would like to contact me offlist, i
can help you with design. That is what my company does :)

linda