[OmniOS-discuss] SMB and Netatalk

Olaf Marzocchi lists at marzocchi.net
Thu Feb 16 14:01:58 UTC 2017

I would like to remind all those interested in netatalk that a future switch to smb will probably cause loss of finder labels and similar metadata, plus some mismatch in uncommon characters like question marks and so on.
At least, both happened to me and I was using a very basic configuration.

It is possible to convert the metadata manually, but I forgot the name of the tool able to do that. I used an apple script I wrote for that, but there are better tools. I can provide it if requested.

After my experience I'm of the opinion that, as long as no client uses OS X < 10.9 and as long as an OmniOS with built-in kernel smb2 is available, smb2 should be the choice.
I never felt the need of Samba on OmniOS, since I use no AD credentials.

If the chosen OmniOS has only cifs support, then netatalk will bring a visible performance benefit (but require later a conversion of metadata).

Olaf