[OmniOS-discuss] CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS - Kayak for ISO alpha

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon Feb 27 22:10:30 UTC 2017

I'm in the middle of rewhacking our PXE installer, Kayak, to ALSO provide support for an ISO-based mildly-interactive installer.  Here's the new install menu:

Welcome to the OmniOS installation menu

	1  Find disks, create rpool, and install OmniOS
	2  Install OmniOS straight on to a preconfigured rpool
	3  Shell (if you need to preconfigure rpool)
	4  Terminal type (currently sun-color)
	5  Reboot

Basically, #1 will use diskinfo(1M) to list the disks and let you select them.  #2 will find an imported and online pool named "rpool" that you configured in advance, and install OmniOS on it.  #3 give you a shell to do such configuration.

I'm somewhat along in this process, but it's VERY rough.  I have some of #2's functionality working now.

If there are brave people who wish to try various stages of the new ISO installer for OmniOS (it will also be the USB one... BSD Loader makes USB construction simple once you have an ISO created), please let me know.

NOTE:  I do not have USB ready yet, just very VERY sketchy ISO images.  :)

NOTE 2: I'm ESPECIALLY interested in people on qemu or other virtualization technologies, as this installer should not have the hangups about blkdev devices that the old installer did.  If diskinfo(1M) in the shell sees it, you can install on it.

Thanks,