[OmniOS-discuss] Network >10Gb/s

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Tue Jan 10 16:10:47 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:

> > On Jan 10, 2017, at 8:41 AM, Schweiss, Chip <chip at innovates.com> wrote:
> >
> > It appears that my options for 40Gb/s Ethernet are Intel, Chelsio and
> SolarFlare.
> >
> > Can anyone comment on which of these is the most stable solution when
> running under OmniOS?   What's the fastest NFS throughput you've been able
> to achieve?
>
> The Intel i40e driver is nascent, but it will receive more attention as
> time passes.  Doug's point about SolarFlare is a good one.

I'm a bit concerned on the Intel because of posts like this:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11373848  and the fact that they seem
to have shifted their focus to Omni-Path which from my understanding is
incompatible with the existing 40G gear.

SolarFlare seems promising, but I'd like to know of at least on success
story.

-Chip