[OmniOS-discuss] Network >10Gb/s

Ian Kaufman ikaufman at eng.ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 10 16:24:12 UTC 2017

Hmm, as far as I know, Omni-Path is not an ethernet replacement, but an IB
replacement. While Intel is investing heavily in Omni-Path, it should not
impact their ethernet offerings as they really are two different markets.

Ian

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Schweiss, Chip <chip at innovates.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:
>

>> > On Jan 10, 2017, at 8:41 AM, Schweiss, Chip <chip at innovates.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > It appears that my options for 40Gb/s Ethernet are Intel, Chelsio and
>> SolarFlare.
>> >
>> > Can anyone comment on which of these is the most stable solution when
>> running under OmniOS?   What's the fastest NFS throughput you've been able
>> to achieve?
>>
>> The Intel i40e driver is nascent, but it will receive more attention as
>> time passes.  Doug's point about SolarFlare is a good one.
>>

> I'm a bit concerned on the Intel because of posts like this:
> https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11373848  and the fact that they
> seem to have shifted their focus to Omni-Path which from my understanding
> is incompatible with the existing 40G gear.
>
> SolarFlare seems promising, but I'd like to know of at least on success
> story.
>
> -Chip
>

>> You may wish to ping the larger illumos community about this as well.
>>

>> Dan

Ian Kaufman
Research Systems Administrator
UC San Diego, Jacobs School of Engineering ikaufman AT ucsd DOT edu