[OmniOS-discuss] LX zones documentation

Ludovic Orban lorban at bitronix.be
Thu Jan 12 11:01:30 UTC 2017

Hi,

So far, LX zones have been working great for me. Thanks for that!

I did find a few things that would be worth better documenting though:

 - The folder containing the zonepath should be a dataset, otherwise
zoneadm install fails with a cryptic error.

 - You can run dhcp with all bells and whistles in a lx zone, but that
works with the illumos native dhcp client. This means you need to copy
inittab and inittab6 from the global zone in /etc/dhcp, create
/etc/dhcp/eventhook if you want to automatically configure
/etc/resolv.conf and create /etc/hostname.<ifname> if you want DNS
name registration.

 - IPv6 works great too but you need to manually start
/native/usr/lib/inet/in.ndpd from within your zone.

That's all I have: it all works great but the doc needs some love. I
thought it would be worth mentioning here.

Thanks again,
Ludovic