[OmniOS-discuss] New OmniOS bloody

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Wed Jan 18 01:33:43 UTC 2017

Pardon the delay between this and the last one of late-November.  We've been either on winter break, or trying to make some large progress.  We managed both.  There are new ISO and USB-DD files with this update.

New with this update:

* Python 2.6 has been obsoleted in favor of Python 2.7(.13).  This affected illumos-omnios, caiman, and pkg5.  The new ISOs have a Python2.7 version of caiman, but we aren't necessarily committing to that for the r151022 installer yet.  There is no trace of Python 2.6 left in the "omnios" publisher.

* Several changes from illumos have been merged in.  Including most noticeably the obsolescence of the Solaris Volume Manager (SVM).  With everyone using ZFS now, SVM was ripped out of illumos-gate, and hence illumos-omnios:master.

* Some LX updates from illumos-joyent, plus a backout of a mismerge from the previous ISO, which caused LX zones to fail.

The obsolescence of Python2.6 was the first of three major undertakings for this bloody cycle.  I'm surprised how well it went, and we can thank the pkg5 test suite, as well as Dale Ghent with some big help from on the caiman front.

The next major undertaking will be integrating the BSD Loader support into OmniOS.  Our plan for Loader as it currently stands is:

* Let people who use "pkg update" to move to bloody or r151022 when it ships to continue to use GRUB.

* New ISO or Kayak installs will install with BSD Loader instead.

* There will also be a command to move grub deployments over to BSD Loader for people who use "pkg update", but want to make the switch to loader. (This may render pre-loader BEs highly unstable.)

That is the plan.  We'll see how it stands up against reality.

Thank you!
Dan

p.s. I plan on updating the USB3/xhci sub-repo too, once I can get it to build again.