[OmniOS-discuss] ixgbe: breaking aggr on 10GbE X540-T2

Stephan Budach stephan.budach at jvm.de
Wed Jan 18 16:16:25 UTC 2017

Am 18.01.17 um 09:01 schrieb Dale Ghent:

>>> The chip provides no reason for a LoS or downgrade of the link. For configuration issues it interrupts only on a few things. "LSC" (Link Status Change) interrupts one of these things and are what tells the driver to interrogate the chip for its current speed, but beyond that, the hardware provides no further details. Any details regarding why the PHY had to re-train the link are completely hidden to the driver.
>>>
>>> Are these X540 interfaces actually built into the motherboard, or are they separate PCIe cards? Also, CAT6 alone might not be enough, and even the magnetics on the older X540 might not even be able to eek out a 10Gb connection, even at 2m. I would remove all doubt of cabling being an issue by replacing them with CAT6a. Beware of cable vendors who sell CAT6 cables as "CAT6a". It could also be an issue with the modular jacks on the ends.
>>>
>>> Since you mentioned "after 6/2016" for the ixgbe driver, have you tried the newer one yet? Large portions of it were re-written and re-factored, and many bugs fixed including portions that touch the X540 due to the new X550 also being copper and the two models needing to share some logic related to that.
>>>
>>> /dale
>>>
>> Thanks for clarifying that. I just checked the cables and they classify as Cat6a and they are from a respectable german vendor, not that this would be any guarantee, but at least they're no bulkware from china. ;)
>>
>> The X540s are either onboard on some Supermicro X10 boards, but also on a genuine Intel PCI adaptor. I will check some other cables, maybe the ones I got were somewhat faulty. However, this leaves only a few options  to the user, finding out, what is actually wrong with the connection, isn't it?
>>
>> Regarding the release of omniOS, I will update my RSF-1 node to the latest r18, the other two new nodes are actually on r20 and thus should already have the new driver installed.
> I the ixgbe package installed on your systems has a time stamp after July 19 2016, it will have the updated code.
>
> Regarding the X540s which are integrated on some of your SMCI X10 boards, does a 10Gb link remain stable after you issue the following two commands in the shown order:
>
> dladm set-linkprop -p en_10gfdx_cap=0 ixgbeN
> dladm set-linkprop -p en_10gfdx_cap=1 ixgbeN
>
> Also, check flowctrl:
>
> dladm show-linkprop -p flowctrl
>
> For your ixgbe devices, this should be the default of "no"
>
> /dale
I tried all of that on each of the four interfaces, but it doesn't seem
to help. I will get me some new cables - Dominik suggested a brand, that
I also know, and I will have my current cables be tested against the
Cat6a spec.

If that also should lead me nowhere, anyone can suggest a working 10GbE
Dual-Port copper adaptor, that will work with omniOS, e.g. QLE3442-RJ-CK
or some Broadcom stuff?

Thanks,
Stephan