[OmniOS-discuss] PCI-e x8 only running x4

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Jan 24 14:50:56 UTC 2017

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017, Svavar Örn Eysteinsson wrote:

> Which 16port internal controller would you guys recommend ?
> I'm totall lost in the catalog at LSI site...

I have a LSI 9300-16i 12Gb/s SAS controller which seems to be working
fine here.  I am still burn-in testing but it has been 3 days already.

This is in a Supermicro SC836BA-R920B chassis which is a
direct-connect chassis not rated for 12Gb/s duty but I have not yet
seen any sign of a problem with 12Gb/s SAS drives in a (claimed) 6Gb/s
backplane.

Pool scrub peak rates reported by 'zpool iostat' are about 800MB/s
(830M/s reported by 'zpool status') using 16 drives arranged in 2
RAIDz2 vdevs and with lz4 compression (on about half the data) and
using skein checksums.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn