[OmniOS-discuss] Fwd: Install on Supermicro DOM=low space left

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 14:36:25 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Olaf Marzocchi <lists at marzocchi.net> wrote:

> But dumps can also be saved as files on a normal dataset, right? provided
> enough space is left for them.

No. The dump is a two-stage process.

When the system panics, it simply drops memory into the dump volume.
(Traditionally, it used to use the swap partition.)

Then, when the system is back up, you save that dump into regular files
for subsequent analysis.

If you're really tight for space, and aren't worried about debugging a
panic, then
disabling dumps entirely (dupadm -d none) might be appropriate in this case.

(As an aside, I note that current OmniOS LTS - r151014 - doesn't understand
dumpadm -e, which is a shame.)

> Olaf
>

> Il 26 gennaio 2017 12:38:27 CET, vab at bb-c.de ha scritto:
>>
>>  NAME         USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
>>>  rpool/dump  41.5G  9.15G  41.5G  -
>>>  rpool/swap  4.13G  13.0G   276M  -
>>>

>> The "dump" volume is much too big.  Do a
>>
>>   dumpadm -e
>>
>> This will print the "estimated" dump size.  Then add a bit, and
>> set the new dump volume size with:
>>
>>   zfs set volsize=<new size> rpool/dump
>>
>> For example, on my OmniOS file server:
>>
>> # dumpadm -e
>> Estimated dump size: 4.63G
>>
>> # zfs set volsize=6G rpool/dump
>>
>> # zfs list rpool/dump
>> NAME         USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
>> rpool/dump  6.00G  24.1G  6.00G  -
>>
>>  I did not changed anything during instalation proccess, I've just
>>>  accepted all defaults
>>>

>> Yes.  The "traditional" installation usually sizes dump too big.
>> That is why I asked. :-)
>>

>> Hope this helps -- Volker

-Peter Tribble