[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS DOS'd my entire network

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Tue May 9 19:32:04 UTC 2017

This was a first for me and extremely painful to locate.

In the middle of the night between last Friday and Saturday, I started
getting down alerts from most of my network.   It took 4 engineers
including myself 9 hours to pinpoint the source of the problem.

The problem turned out to be one of my OmniOS boxes sending out pure
garbage constantly on layer 2 out the 10G network ports.   This disrupted
ARP caches on every machine on every VLAN that was trunked on these ports,
not just the VLANs that were configured on the server.   The switches
reported every port healthy and without error.   The traffic on the bad
port was not high either, just severely disruptive.

The affected OmniOS box appear to be healthy, as it was still serving the
VM data stores for over 350 virtual machines.   However, it like every
other service on the network appeared to be up and down repeatedly, but NFS
kept on recovering gracefully.

The only thing that finally identified this server was when one of us plug
a monitor to the console and saw "WARNING: proxy ARP problem?"  happening
so fast that it took taking a cellphone picture of it a high frame rate to
read it.   Powering off this server, cleared the problem for the entire
network, and its pools were taken over by its HA sister.

Googling for that warning brings up nothing useful.

Has anyone ever seen a problem like this?   How did you locate it?

-Chip