[OmniOS-discuss] To the OmniOS Community

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Mon May 15 18:32:45 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 12:10 AM, Theo Schlossnagle <
theo.schlossnagle at circonus.com> wrote:

> I have to chime in. Communities aren't built on money; they are built on
> time. I think there has been an unhealthy focus on how much money people
> are willing to pledge without considering who would even be willing to
> accept that money for their time. Those willing might not require payment
> at all.

Not to mention the bureaucratic technicalities and legalities of
handling payment. If there are people who do wish to contribute
financially, then supporting involvement at community events
(FOSDEM is the first one that comes to mind) is always welcome.

> Communities are built on collective need and contributed time. It comes
> down to volunteering. I have yet to see anyone pledge time to do work, and
> from my perspective that is what is truly needed here.
>
> I was hoping not to be the first, but I will attempt to lead by example.
> I'll pledge my time to do required security package publications on 014 and
> 022. As security issues with packages in core arise, I will update the
> build system, re-roll the packages and publish them.

Thanks for setting the example. I suspect there were a few who didn't
want to be the first either.

> If this will be successful, other people will need to commit to do the
> work and we will democratize the access to make that work possible.

I'm willing to help maintain, test, and develop illumos-omnios.

> Best regards,
>
> Theo
>

> On May 14, 2017 3:41 PM, "Michael Mounteney" <gate03 at landcroft.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 May 2017 17:33:56 +0200
>> Krzysztof Grzempa <grzempek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > So, where are we at the moment? Any conclusions? Decisions? Plans?
>>
>> TBH it's not looking good.
>>
>> https://gitter.im/PostOmniOS/Lobby has reached no firm conclusion.  We
>> certainly are well-short of a group of qualified and committed people
>> who could take-on management of OmniOS.
>>
>> The funding poll at
>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IyAI950a-JkPgRRLSezZ
>> m9-Rt8HkfO_nIkubd_m8d_0/edit
>> is short by an order of magnitude of what it needs to set-up commercial
>> OmniOS support.  Even the promises amount to less than a serious salary.
>>
>> I hate to be negative but somebody has to say it and we have to decide
>> how to move on.

-Peter Tribble