[OmniOS-discuss] vmware tools -> open-vm-tools gotcha

Jeff Stockett jstockett at molalla.com
Tue Apr 3 17:00:14 UTC 2018

I have an omnios vm that I had installed vmware tools on back before open-vm-tools was in the repo (or I knew it was).  I was going to update it to use open-vm-tools because I hate getting nagged when we apply updates to our vmware cluster so sometime back, I ran "vmware-uninstall-tools.pl" and then "pkg install open-vm-tools" and all appeared to be well.  However, this morning I rebooted that machine, and when it came back up it had no network - dladm show-link returned nothing despite two nics being configured in vmware.  I'm assuming "vmware-uninstall-tools.pl" got a little over zealous and removed the vmxnet3 driver even though it was provided as part of omnios.  Anyone know an easy way to manually uninstall vmware tools without this nasty side effect?  Thank goodness for boot environments or I would have been struggling to remember how to mount the cdrom so I could re-install vmware tools while under pressure!