[OmniOS-discuss] Request advise on pool upgrade

Olaf Marzocchi lists at marzocchi.net
Wed Feb 7 10:08:27 UTC 2018

You have a big pool with many vdevs and that makes, as you noticed, upgrades difficult
I guess you don't need exceptional performances, isn't it?

Go then for 8 TB and option 1, creating a new pool as big as the previous one. Use the opportunity (the last one you'll have!) to move everything there, then split the previous one into two.
When done, redistribute, as much as possible, the datasets between the three pools.

At least in the future you will be able to use two pools as temporary backup for the third one if you need to take one offline for any reason.
This trumps all the other advantages and disadvantages IMHO.

Olaf